The Knee Law Firm — NJ Trust Law and Estate/Elder Law in Hackensack, NJ
Estate Litigation| Fiduciary Disputes | Guardianships and Conservatorships | Estate Planning | Special Needs Planning | Estate Administration | Accountings | Tax Planning | Elder Law | Real Estate Law | Business Law and Succession Planning
At The Knee Law Firm, LLC, we provide more than 60 years of combined legal experience to individuals and businesses in Hackensack and Bergen County. We are a boutique trust and estates/elder law firm, offering the full spectrum of services including estate litigation, fiduciary litigation, estate administration, estate planning, tax planning, guardianships and conservatorships and Medicaid planning. We also offer ancillary services such as real estate closings and leases and business and succession planning. When you hire us, you’ll always have access to one of our lawyers. We’ll take the time to learn the unique aspects of your situation, so that we can tailor our counsel to get the outcome you want.
Our attorneys bring outstanding credentials to every case we handle. Attorney Peggy Sheahan Knee is certified as an elder law attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation, and is a member of the Council of Advanced Practitioners, an elite group of highly skilled elder law attorneys. The 2013 recipient of the Dorothy G. Black Distinguished Service Award in Probate, she is also past president of the New Jersey State Bar Association. Peggy is also a past chair of the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association. And Peggy is a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and serves on the Elder Law and Fiduciary Litigation Committees.
Attorney Robert A. Knee was awarded the Arthur S. Horn Distinguished Service Award for Real Estate in January, 2017 by the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association. Robert also served as a past chair of the Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association. Robert is a member of the District II-A Ethics Committee, Bergen County-North. And Robert is a fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC) and serves on the Elder Law and Fiduciary Litigation Committees.
An Overview of Our Practice
We provide comprehensive legal counsel in matters involving:
- Estate litigation — We handle will contests and other disputes related to estates
- Fiduciary disputes — We represent both fiduciaries and beneficiaries in fiduciary disputes such as accountings and breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Guardianships and conservatorships — Our lawyers will help you prepare and file documents to seek the appointment of a guardian for someone who lacks the capacity to manage his or her own affairs or voluntarily appoint a conservator to manage his or her affairs.
- Estate planning — Our attorneys will help you decide the best strategy for overseeing the orderly distribution of your estate and will prepare all required documents, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney and living wills/health care proxies.
- Special needs planning — We handle a broad range of legal issues for parents and individuals who have family members with special needs, using special needs trusts and other forms of planning to protect assets
- Estate administration — We work with executors, administrators and personal representatives to ensure that an estate is properly settled.
- Tax planning — Our attorneys will help you properly plan to minimize tax liability during the estate planning and probate process. We also prepare estate and inheritance returns.
- Elder law — We will work with you to minimize the risk of the depletion of estate assets to pay for assisted living or nursing home care. We also prepare Medicaid applications to qualify an individual for benefits.
- Real estate — We will guide you through the sale or purchase of residential or commercial real estate, and can handle leases or bank financing issues.
- Business law — We will help you determine the most effective legal structure for a new business and will ensure that you take all steps to comply with state business laws. We will assist you with commercial real estate matters and can guide you as you put measures in place to ensure the orderly transition of the business from one generation to the next.
To learn how we can help you, send us an e-mail or call our office at 201-996-1200.