Proven and Effective New Jersey Elder Law Attorneys
Medicaid Planning | Asset Protection Strategies | Guardianships and Conservatorships | Estate Planning for a Community Spouse | Disability Planning
As our population ages, elder law issues come to the fore. Do you have a family member or loved one who is vulnerable? Are they being financially exploited? Are they being properly taken care of? Is someone, such as another relative, or a caregiver, taking advantage? How do you protect your loved ones? When these issues arise, you need counsel that with the knowledge and experience to offer you solutions to combat these difficult issues.
If you or a loved one is moving into an assisted living or nursing home facility, it’s essential that you take appropriate legal measures to protect your assets from being depleted to pay for your care. You want a lawyer who understands the different tools available to you to protect your hard-earned wealth for your loved ones.
At the Knee Law Firm, LLC, in Hackensack, New Jersey, attorneys Robert and Peggy Sheahan Knee bring more than 60 years of combined legal experience to individuals who need assistance with a wide range of elder law issues. We can assist you at any stage of a legal matter, whether you are in the early planning stages for a move to assisted living or nursing home care, or you need an advocate to protect your interests with an existing facility. We will also work with you to offer you solutions to protect a family member or other loved one who is being exploited. You’ll get the breadth and depth of legal services you expect with the personal service and attention of a boutique estate and elder law firm. And you’ll work with an attorney with extensive knowledge and experience dealing with the issues facing you—attorney Peggy Sheahan Knee is certified as an elder law attorney by the National Elder Law Foundation. She’s also a member of the Council of Advanced Practitioners, a select group of the top elder law attorneys nationwide.
Our Elder Law Practice
We offer comprehensive elder law services to individuals and their families, handling a wide range of issues addressing older clients, such as:
- Medicaid planning — We will help you take the right steps to maximize the amount you can receive from Medicaid, so that your estate is not depleted to pay for your care
- Guardianships and conservatorships – We will draft and implement all documents necessary to appoint a guardian or conservator for you and/or your assets
- Estate planning – Our attorneys will help you put measures in place to facilitate the transfer of your estate upon death
- Estate administration, including contested estates — We will work with an executor, personal representative or administrator to oversee the orderly distribution of assets according to the terms of a will or trust
- Disabilities planning — We will help you take any necessary steps to protect yourself or a loved one in the event of a disability, including drafting and executing a supplemental needs trust, if appropriate
- Special needs planning — We can help you take measures to protect assets of family members with special needs, including potential inheritances.
- Medicaid applications – we can help you prepare and file a Medicaid application to obtain benefits.