Assistance with Special Needs Planning | Protecting Estate Assets | Coordinating with Medicaid and Other Government Benefits

If you have a child or family member with special needs, you must plan your estate accordingly. Your loved one may be eligible for government benefits or subsidies, such as Medicaid, that are provided on a needs basis. If, however, your loved one inherits any assets from you, it may disqualify them from receiving those benefits, and may result in some portion of the estate being lost to pay for necessary care. With proper planning, you can minimize that risk.

At the Knee Law Firm, LLC, with offices in Hackensack, we bring more than six decades of estate and trust experience to people across New Jersey. We are a boutique law firm that offers big law practice experience and resources. We built our successful practice on a commitment to providing the highest levels of personal service and attention, taking the time to get to know you and understand the unique circumstances of your situation. When you work with us, you’ll always have ready access to one of our partners, and we’ll strive to answer all your calls and e-mails in a timely manner.

To set up a private meeting with an experienced New Jersey estate planning lawyer, contact us online or call our office at 201-996-1200.

Our Special Needs Planning Practice

We work with families who have children or others with special needs. We’ll conduct a thorough assessment to determine your family member’s eligibility for Medicaid and other government benefits. Most often, we’ll protect any inheritance that you wish to pass on to a family member with special needs by creating a special needs trust and transferring assets into the trust, either during your lifetime or upon your death. Because the estate property will be owned by the trust, a separate legal entity, the assets won’t be considered property of your family member. As such,

  • Your loved one won’t risk disqualification for benefits
  • The property won’t be subject to seizure or attachment to pay for any care

Contact Our Office

For a private consultation with an experienced special needs planning lawyer, send us an e-mail or call our office at 201-996-1200.

New Jersey SuperLawyers | AV-Rated Under Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review System